Saturday, June 09, 2007

Shekels and Fish

I know that I haven't posted in a while and I left no explanation and I do that fairly often. I apologize. Life is busy and blogging has to take a backseat.
I have been reading through the Gospels lately and I came across a passage I found very interesting. The tax collectors were asking Peter if Jesus and His followers pay the temple tax:

And when they were come to Capharnaum, they that received the didrachmas, came to Peter and said to him: Doth not your master pay the didrachmas? He said: Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying: What is thy opinion, Simon? The kings of the earth, of whom do they receive tribute or custom? of their own children, or of strangers? And he said: Of strangers. Jesus said to him: Then the children are free. But that we may not scandalize them, go to the sea, and cast in a hook: and that fish which shall first come up, take: and when thou hast opened its mouth, thou shalt find a stater: take that, and give it to them for me and thee.
First of all I would like to note that our first pope was speaking in Jesus' name while He was still alive according to this passage. I just thought that I would throw that out there.
However, the part I find interesting is the shekel in the fishes mouth. I am sure there is some significance to Peter finding a shekel in a fishes mouth. Otherwise why wouldn't Jesus just hand him a shekel?
The Lord of Heaven and Earth, the God of all Creation could surely have just pulled a shekel out of thin air. Maybe it was supper time anyways.

No comments: