Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Kudos for the best title in the Comment Box

I was bored at work and wrote this:

I'm celebrating Christmas in Iraq this year
I'm fortunate, for our priest will be here
Off to the chapel at midnight for Mass
A day different from the others at last
We pray for faith, hope, love and for peace
We know He will return and wars will cease
Until His justice reigns, we're here in this land
Defending Iraq and home in these blowing sands
Sixteen months or so they say
But I'm still here this Christmas day
Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men
Until His Second Coming. Amen

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm glad you got to have a Christmas Mass! I'm afraid I would just call the poem "Christmas in Iraq" or something equally pedestrian; I'm not much of a poet...

That poem seems to hit on the thoughts I have too when I think of Iraq, of all other wars and difficult situations, and indeed of any kind of suffering: "Until His justice reigns... Until His Second Coming."

Joyful feast days only sharpen my longing for Heaven!

Athanasis Contra Mundum said...

Yeah Mass was great. We even had some Iraqis singing in Aramaic during Communion. All I could pick out of the song was an occasional Alleluia. I think that was Alleluia.
All I could think of was something like Christmas at Warhorse. Take heart, for so far you have the best title.
I am glad that you liked it. Its always good to have someone appreciate my poetry.