Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Today as our nation honors our our war dead, I'm reminded of Memorial Gym. I have a lot of great memories of the swimming pool and pick up games of basketball there, but the gym is more than a gym. It is a memorial to the fallen.
My alma mater, the University of Idaho, built Memorial Gym after WWI to honor the alumni who fell in the service of our republic. Since then, plaques have been installed on the walls of the gym to honor the alumni who have died in every war since.
 

Before I began my freshman year I had visited the UI two or three times, but my Dad had never been. As we walked past Memorial Gym, he was convinced that it was a church. It took quite a bit of insistence on my part to finally convince him that it really is a gym. From the picture above, you can see why someone might mistake it for a church.

May those who died to defend these United States rest in the eternal peace of our Lord.

May God bless all who read my ramblings,

Adopt A Catholic Blog