Saturday, June 30, 2012

Wile E Coyote and his example

So late one night I was writing another one of my letters for later to my daughter in a blank page type book and somewhere in there I remembered one of my favorite stories about one of the Desert Fathers instructing a young man:
There is a story from the Desert Fathers about a young monk who asked one of the old men of the desert why it is that so many people came out to the desert to seek God and yet most of them gave up after a short time and returned to their lives in the city. The old monk told him, "Last evening my dog saw a rabbit running for cover among the bushes of the desert and he began to chase the rabbit, barking loudly. Soon other dogs joined in the chase, barking and running. They ran a great distance and alerted many other dogs. Soon the wilderness was echoing the sounds of their pursuit but the chase went on into the night. After a little while, many of the dogs grew tired and dropped. A few chased the rabbit until the night was nearly spent. By morning, only my dog continued the hunt."Do you understand," the old man said, "what I have told you?" "No," replied the young monk, "please tell me father.""It is simple," said the desert father, "my dog saw the rabbit".
I copied the exact wording from here. Back to my story, somehow the idea of a dog chasing after a rabbit started my thinking about Wile E Coyote chasing roadrunner. Clearly Wile E embodies the spirit of the Old Man's dog that refused to give up chasing the rabbit, refused to stop praying and meditating on God in the desert. We could all use some of that indomitable spirit that our friend Coyote has in such abundance. He perseveres no matter the cost. Yes, he bungles and he often gets hurt, but without fail he picks himself up and goes back at it. He never stops in his quest for the Roadrunner. He is single minded in his pursuit and to this end he clearly gives generously of his time, talent and treasure. We should seek first the Kingdom of God with the determination that Wile E has for the Roadrunner. Nothing else should matter outside of our pursuit of God and His righteousness. We should seek to draw nearer than when we first believed with the same gusto and tirelessness of Wile E.

I'm off the soapbox for now.

May God bless all who read my ramblings,

Adopt A Catholic Blog

No comments: