Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day 2013

Happy Father's Day to all the Fathers out there!
I think the US should change Father's Day to March 19 so that it will be on the Feast of St Joseph, but that's just my humble opinion.
My Father's Day started off at 6:15 this morning with a text message from a number I don't recognize wishing me a "Happy Father's Day!".
A short while ago I read a story from Catholic News Agency about fatherhood. The rest I though was blah but these two paragraphs stood out to me:
Frequently in pop culture – especially in sitcoms on television – fathers are shown as clueless or out of touch and domineering, he said. When this is the only example of fatherhood and masculinity men have, that role almost becomes “a self-fulfilling cycle.”

However, no matter what the “external factors” are, such as pop culture or economic status, a man must be aware that his value and worth are from God, Caulfield emphasized.
To understand God as our Father, we must understand what a father is. I have read many times that the home is the first seminary and fathers most certainly have a God-given role to catechize.

 "As a father hath compassion on his children, so hath the Lord compassion on them that fear him"
--Psalm 103:13

May God bless all who read my ramblings,

Adopt A Catholic Blog

No comments: